Pipe smokers from all across the UK will gather for the British Pipe Smoking Championships (BPSC) on July 16th.
The BPSC event will take place at:
The King’s Lock Public House, 1 Booth Lane, Middlewich, Cheshire, CW10 0JJ.
(Google Maps Link)
This is the first championship since 2014. Hopefully it will carry on in future years, but may well be dependent on this years turnout.
Competition pipe supplied by Blakemar Briars
That’s right. The BPSC will be using our very own Sandblast Billiard for the competition.
We have made over 50 of these pipes for the event – complete with a “BPSC 2023” stamp to mark the occasion.
All participants will get to keep their competition pipe, so regardless of how you rank in some ways everyone who takes part is a winner. 🙂
How the competition works
- Every contender is given a pipe, a pipe cleaner, 3g of tobacco, a tamper and 2 matches.
- 5 minutes are given to check the pipe & load the bowl.
- 1 minute is then given to light the bowl with the matches.
- Once lit, the aim is to keep the pipe smoking for as long as possible – the last one smoking wins.
- No relights are allowed.
- Tamping is allowed, but the pipe should be stay in the mouth while being tamped.
- Smoke too slow and the pipe will go out – smoke too fast and all the tobacco will be gone!
Prizes include pipes, tobacco and other useful tools. There have been a large number of prizes donated by many people in the trade, enough for everyone who enters to get something.
First place will also receive a commemorative trophy to keep for 2023.
Alongside the competition, there are always plenty of pipe-related products on show and for sale – along with a bar and food for those who are just looking for a relaxing day out.
Registration for the competition is £45, payable on the day.
Entry is free for non-participants.
Gates and Registration open at 11.00am.
Competition starts at 2.00pm.
See you there
As well as supplying the competition pipe, Blakemar Briars will be attending the event – with a selection of our pipes available for sale.
The BPSC really is a great day out, whether to compete, browse the various stands or just have a good time with your fellow pipe smokers.
I look forward to seeing you there.